Home > Forums > Etiquette (Assistance and Etiquette)

Sexist Policies in Swinging Clubs

Get full access to all site features Register Now!

Hi there,

I´ve recently received, on this site, an invitation to a party held in a swinger´s club. The party is themed around a brief display of lingerie, presumably by models or similar, to be held fairly early in the evening. The invitiation states that men attending are to be dressed in normal attire while ALL women guests (please note the capital letters as they are directly quoted from the invitation) must come wearing lingerie; stockings are mentioned specifically.

Is it just me or does anybody else see this as blatanly sexist when lingerie pertains to both men and women? I fail to understand why it shouldn´t be a case of lingerie for all, or at least as optional?

I´ve been unable to gain an explanation for this policy from the sender of the invite. I feel that the swinging community should exemplify a climate of equality and that this goes against it and exploits women. If my partner can attend in his normal clothing why shouldn´t I be able to, just because I´m a woman?

I´m genuinely interested in people´s opinions and comments on this subject.

Re: Sexist Policies in Swinging Clubs

Thanks to those of you who have rated my message. It´s nice to know that there are genuine people with integrity in the swinging network!

It would be nice to read some of your comments on it, though?

Tough call without getting the sender of the invite to explain the thought behind it. I know that when a party with a theme is being organised, quite often the organiser has a visualisation of what they want from a design and artistic perspective to create a certain ambience. There is always someone who turns up at a fancy dess without entering into the spirit of it which for some takes that sheen off the evening.
The other angle is those attending. Whilst I see that equality is as close to your heart as it is mine, there is a choice of whether to attend or not. Nobody is forcing anyone to attend. It is akin to bdsm parties and clubs with strict dress codes. What if you have a certain state of mind and prefer your brand of bdsm to be quite covert as opposed to wearing leather, pvc, rubber, chains etc? It doesn't make you any less of a bdsm practitioner but can get you refused entry to certain bdsm clubs. Surely this discriminates also? Parties for over 25's only...i know some over 25's who behave like 15 year olds and likewise some 21 year olds who have a very mature outlook on life so this seems ageist.
If we all have the freedom to do as we choose, then the organiser of the party is free to specify what attire people should wear. If heshe has to accomodate people who choose not to wear lingerie then surely their freedom is compromised?
I know of clubs with age policies, dress policies, gender policies and even one with a race policy! (Which incidentally is my big bug bear) There are women only nights in clubs!
Hope my input has been of some use because while i totally agree with your thoughts on this form of discrimination, I also accept others have a right to ask for what they want.
Great post and I look forward to seeing more from you in the forums
img src="imagesadultemoticons004.gif"

Hi there,

I so appreciate your articulate and relevant comments. I take your point entirely that prescribing a dress code and then allowing people to attend without adhering to it could well be seen as impeaching on the freedom of those who have stuck to the rules, etc. It made me think harder about it, which is always a good thing in anybody´s book!

My issue is not with the compulsory element of the lingerie thing at all; in fact I would really enjoy that as I love nice lingerie. Having been to a great club in Amsterdam where EVERYBODY gets into their lingerie at a desiganted point in the evening, I know what a good atmosphere it creates.

My issue is with the idea that lingerie is only compulsory for women, as regards the event in question. As I said, I´ve been unable to gain a justification for this. You rightly point out that one has the choice to attend but my argument is that I´m excluded from an event which I would genuinely have liked to go to because I can´t support what I see as sexism towards women.

We had swinger friends round for dinner the other night and I put this to them. They were equally aghast and won´t attend either!

By the way, you may not want to say but I wouldn´t mind a hint as to the club or venue which has a race policy! Like you, I´m speechless and will not be giving them my hard-earned cash if I can possibly help it!

Anyway, I´ve probably given you the impression that I´m a bra-burning,
boot-clad feminist. Not true - but I will tackle issues that get under my skin, even if they don´t seem like a big deal to other people!

I think the thing here is that you aren't actually excluded. You have made the choice not to attend because you disagree with the dress code. It was an invitation and you are well within your rights not to accept it.
Many schools do not allow boys to wear earrings whereas they allow girls to do so. Some schools do not permit boys to have long hair but allow girls to. The boy cannot refuse to attend school for these reasons. Would you send your son to this school?
Would you attend a Vicars and Tarts party if it were not permissable for you to attend as a vicar and your partner to attend as a tart?
My partner and I have attended many "black tie" dinner nights where the females can choose any dress they wish to wear whereas I have been forced to wear my Mess Dress and civilian men have to wear a dinner jacket and bow tie.
As a humourous aside have you ever heard of a greedy guys party?
One thing my partner and I spotted was that quoted from the invite was the fact that "men attending are to be dressed in normal attire". If a man chose to wear a thong then this would be considered not 'the norm' thereby encroaching on his freedom and discriminating against men surely?
I personally dont see this as a sexism issue but more inkeeping with the various standards and codes displayed by many swinging clubs and swingers parties and perhaps society as a whole.

The club with the race policy does not actually display this in writing but the owner personally told friends of mine that people of a certain race would not be allowed in due to trouble experienced by the previous owners with a group of men of a certain origin. I wonder had the group of men been white would white men be banned unofficially? I doubt it.

A lot of your points are very relevant and you´ve given me plenty of food for thought about this I guess I´ll just accept that this particular scenario is not for me and that not everybody sees the same significance in it as I do. Great to get some genuine dialogue going, though!

Its been an absolute pleasure thinking about this. In one way its very very close to my heart as I have very strong views about equality and discrimination, however i'm always conscious that my views are not everyone elses views and that everyone has the right to express their opinions and desires.
I think your original point has merit and yes, ideally there would be no such differentiation between the sexes in clubs and parties. What we are left with is our own choices and to have the freedom to make our own choices is something worth exercising.
I've enjoyed this post, its been thought provoking and has got me to ask questions of myself and my own perception.
Thank you

Likewise and thank you to you, too!

I think Donatellos comments have been very much on the mark here. If there is a genuine (as opposed to? What are you wittering on about George) desire to create a look for the evening, a desire to attract and have displaying a group of people who conform to that desired ambience - yep, you have the choice to attend or not.

Anything compulsory, or where there is no choice or alternative, that imposes such restrictions - well, that's a different kettle of fish.

Have idly mused on this for all of 32 seconds it does occur to me that intention and attitude is maybe as important as the actions themselves. WHY do they want this dress code? -wry smile- Well you don't get to find that out, if they can't be bothered to reply. Maybe that tells you enough about them...

Yup, that dress code is blatently sexist, but then having to pay upto 200% more than females or just not being able to gain entry to a party while single as partnerless females are welcomed with open armstrouserstoybags is worse. At least you have the option eh x

I agree entirely!

It irritates me when single men andor single women are admitted to evenings which are advertised as ´couples only´. There are other options available for those who want singles present.

In the same way, something which is advertised as a lingerie night needs to be lingerie for all, optional for all or for nobody at all! That way people really do have genuine, non-discriminatory choices.

I´d be interested to hear more about paying up to 200% more than women. What´s the context as I´m genuinely unaware of it? Seems incredible!

It's just always been the case... well, at least since i started to hit the clubbing end of the swingfet scene in about 9900 that's been my experience. If I'm with a partner in crime, we stroll in for say £50 as a couple, same club, same promotion alone costs me anywhere between 30 and 45. Not so much at the big, "rave in fancy dress" type events, but at the serious ones with more play rooms and equipment than dancefloor and overpriced drinks, and especially events the likes of which started this thread, where the dress code not only guaranties an abundance of eyecandy for the boys, but also (i think) implies it's a night where male dominance is not only accepted, but expected to be norm that night (for a change?)

Mind if i ramble on a bit more?

The most recent case that actually got my back up was just soo wrong. Never come accross anything so extreme:

First of all i got an invite to a bareback gangbang via a site (not this one). I assumed it was a private, invite only something at someones home. Not really my bag, but a new playmate showed some interest so I mailed back to query if it absolutely has to be bareback, and if voyeurs were welcome. (I can't have unprotected sex with complete strangers, goes against what amounts to a longstanding blood oath amongst myself and my closest playmates. And neither of us were sure we'd want to get involved anyway). Got a reply the next night saying some of the girls don't mind condoms, and you don't have to tuck in if you don't want to followed by details of which club it was being held at, contact details for booking and the price.

Bare with me, i know it's been a bit of a ramble, but i'm adding this sentence just you leave you hanging a lil while longer for the punchline:

"BECAUSE OF THE SAUNA WE DO HAVE TO CHARGE THE LADIES £5 BUT IF YOUR BOOKING FOR THE GB AT £60 WE CAN WAVER THE £5.."

So that'd be £60 for the male who's not even single that night and £5 for the female which will be wavered. I'm well aware this pricing bs is all about trying to balance up the f to m ratio a bit, but £60 - £0? (i was gonna stick an exclamation mark here, but couldn't find one big enough...)

But hey, I've never been to a gangbang, that kinda pricing may well be as it should be for the event...

Now just ask yourself, would you actually like to see men wearing lingerie?
Easy question i know, i wouldn't like to either.

It's just always been the case... well, at least since i started to hit the clubbing end of the swingfet scene in about 9900 that's been my experience. If I'm with a partner in crime, we stroll in for say £50 as a couple, same club, same promotion alone costs me anywhere between 30 and 45. Not so much at the big, "rave in fancy dress" type events, but at the serious ones with more play rooms and equipment than dancefloor and overpriced drinks, and especially events the likes of which started this thread, where the dress code not only guaranties an abundance of eyecandy for the boys, but also (i think) implies it's a night where male dominance is not only accepted, but expected to be norm that night (for a change?)

Mind if i ramble on a bit more?

The most recent case that actually got my back up was just soo wrong. Never come accross anything so extreme:

First of all i got an invite to a bareback gangbang via a site (not this one). I assumed it was a private, invite only something at someones home. Not really my bag, but a new playmate showed some interest so I mailed back to query if it absolutely has to be bareback, and if voyeurs were welcome. (I can't have unprotected sex with complete strangers, goes against what amounts to a longstanding blood oath amongst myself and my closest playmates. And neither of us were sure we'd want to get involved anyway). Got a reply the next night saying some of the girls don't mind condoms, and you don't have to tuck in if you don't want to followed by details of which club it was being held at, contact details for booking and the price.

Bare with me, i know it's been a bit of a ramble, but i'm adding this sentence just you leave you hanging a lil while longer for the punchline:

"BECAUSE OF THE SAUNA WE DO HAVE TO CHARGE THE LADIES £5 BUT IF YOUR BOOKING FOR THE GB AT £60 WE CAN WAVER THE £5.."

So that'd be £60 for the male who's not even single that night and £5 for the female which will be wavered. I'm well aware this pricing bs is all about trying to balance up the f to m ratio a bit, but £60 - £0? (i was gonna stick an exclamation mark here, but couldn't find one big enough...)

But hey, I've never been to a gangbang, that kinda pricing may well be as it should be for the event...

I've been to a GB, and also had a couple of MFMs. None of which was ANY money spent, other than cost of boozetransportcondoms. So I can't say as to what sort of value that iswas.

I can however spot something from your post, where it states that the £5 sauna fee for women will be waived if she is booking the £60 GB...

However, I've noticed numerous events where there has been a pricing difference... Albeit mainly at 'normal' or 'mainstream' clubs, where it's something like £10-20 but "free entry to ladies before XXpm", "ladies in bikinisuniformwhatever get in free", not to mention the strange-ish rule about the group you're with having to be circa 50% female...

Like Donatello, I am also 'anti-ist'... I don't like to deal with people who have have anti-somethingorother issues... Several of my friends are not white, not straight, not of a certain religion, of an age that isn't neccessarily the same as mine, et cetera. Some are even a combination of the above... The one thing is they know that as long as they don't try to tell me that X is better than Y, and that my bum is one-way only, I'll do whatever I can to help them ifwhen something happens...

Hope everyone has fun, whatever they do (and whoever they do it with)

img src="imagesadultemoticons001.gif"

I´m in total agreement with you on this one! Time people started to practise what they preach on the swinging scene! Very relevant post!

If you mean would l like to see men dressed in women´s lingerie then the answer is no, but that´s simply because it doesn´t do it for me, as an individual. If that´s their bag - fair enough!

However, The particular instance which began this discussion was an invite to a lingerie evening which stipulated a compulsory lingerie dress code for women ONLY.

I think you may be misunderstanding; I´m not suggesting that men should be required to dress in women´s lingerie but in that designed for men. Nowadays, the majority of lingerie shops stock male lingerie; I´ve bought several items for my man. Lingerie is no longer a female preserve and hasn´t been for some time. I can quite see that a lingerie dress code would create a very nice ambience, as anyone who has visited fun4two in Amsterdam will confirm.

Given this, I have to strongly question the motives behind the women only policy and echo the thoughts in the post preceeding this one regarding the notion of a blokes´ night out with the goods on view for pre-inspection! For me, this reduces what could be a very sexy, sensual evening to one of out-dated tackiness.

Interesting thread.

For me, one thing that puts me off fun4two is having to change into lingerie. I look like a sack of spuds in all that kind of stuff, and hubs isn't into me-in-lingerie at all, so actually having to do that, in order to fit in and adhere to the dress code would make both of us very uncomfortable!

Whilst I absolutely agree that in Utopia there would be no isms, we've not reached that state of grace yet, and with the benefit of freedom of choice, aligned to good old common or garden free markets, it's inevitable that entrepeneurs will look for, and find, niche markets. Caveat emptor meets take it or leave it......, not to mention ya pays yer money etc....

This thread also begs the question of the definition of 'swinging'. I suspect that over the past few years it has broadened beyond all recognition to take in - and perhaps semi-'legitimise' a number of aspects of sexual conduct that were previously non-mainstream.

The fourth estate, bless 'em (it??!!), has chosen to focus mainly on the slightly more bizarre aspects to feed to their adoring public, whilst many sites are full of singles looking for lurve (or a shag without having to buy drinks and dinner first!!!!!) rather than anything else. I guess this serves to underline the now rather nebulous nature of the term, and therefore to justify those who feel it's a good arena in which to advertise a wide range of services, such as those to which you were invited.

For me, for example, bdsm is not swinging, but a discipline in it's own right. Ditto fetishism, gang-bangs and bukkake......

Will look forward to future posts on this one!!

x

Great post!

First off I have to be blunt and say that from your photo (and woman to woman) I can´t believe you don´t look great in lingerie!

I´m particularly interested in your comments about the definition of swinging since I had this very conversation with somebody recently. I guess it´s close to impossible to put a fixed definition on it - which is a positive thing or a negative thing depending on one´s perspective and the context of the moment!

I´m very much with you about the idea of guys who want to by-pass the wooing stage and get straight down to the sex to save their time, effort and wallet! I´ve come across more than one instance of this and it tends to push me into the peripherals of the swinging scene, which is where you describe yourselves to be. Not my idea of what swinging is but then we´re back to the definition issue, again!

Nice to get some dialogues going with articulate people who are up for some exploring in more than just the physical realm of swinging.

Incidentally, In an email in which I deliberated long and hard over the wording and tone (so as not to cause offence) I drew the attention of the sender of the invitation which began this series of posts to view the thread. I assumed it would provide interesting food for thought.

Unfortunately, the response was a ´not interested´and an attempt to blacklist me! ´Nuff said.

Awesome post from swinginesp. Intellectualism making two aesthetically attractive people even more attractive.

Swinging as I understand it is a form of recreational, social sex between consenting adults, most commonly consisting of malefemale couples meeting other malefemale couples for sex andor ongoing intimate friendships.

Swinging is referred to as the ‘Lifestyle’ or the 'scene' and can encompass a variety of acts and occasions. Many swingers would argue that a single person couldn’t be a swinger and refer back to the days when swinging first took off back in the late 1940’s and early 1950’s as ‘wife-swapping’. The argument therefore is that if a man has no partner he has no one to swap and so cannot be a swinger. There is however, a greater tolerance of single women, as female bi-sexuality is generally accepted in the swinging community whereas male bi-sexuality is not as acceptable. An alternative way of viewing this in the singleton’s defence is that a single person can be a swinger if their partner is aware of their actions. One of the pillars of swinging is honesty and so somebody who is keeping their sexual relations from their partner would be unwelcome by genuine swingers therefore one can assume safely that swinging without a partners knowledge is not swinging. Its cheating.

Swinging first and foremost is a social activity. It is not a clandestine or secretive pastime once you are within the swinging community and amongst fellow swingers. Most swingers choose to keep their private lives within a circle of swingers for fear of being judged unfairly by the public at large because of their attitude towards sex and relationships. In this predominantly Christian-valued Western society, monogamy is the watchword for relationships. Someone who believes that polygamy and free and open sexual relationships are more to their liking may often be treated with derision and disdain. The safe sex lobby can put swingers in a bad light claiming that promiscuity is responsible for the spread of sexually transmitted diseases (STIs). However it’s interesting to note that since 1986 there has been only one reported case of HIV infection in the swinging community. The religious lobby can claim swinging undermines the basic values of matrimony. All manner of accusations can be thrown at swingers and swinging through nothing more than ignorance and intolerance. Once ‘among friends’ in a swinging environment discretion from the public and honesty with swingers are paramount values. It is this uninhibited lifestyle that attracts people to swinging. An environment where a person may be naked or dressed in an outfit, which may publicly draw ridicule and deemed unsuitable, is desirable for people who want to be uninhibited and feel desired and attractive and those who want to enjoy multiple partners.

Lets also look at swinging from a psychological aspect. Consider Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs and we can see that swinging will actually give people the top of the pyramid with Belonging, Esteem and Self Actualisation so swinging can be an essential life enriching activity for some. Can anyone say that's wrong? Swingers are given confidence, respect of others, respect by others and lack of prejudice among other virtues. Now whilst there are other ways to achieve this state of nirvana, one could argue that successful swingers are at the top of Abraham Maslow's pyramid

The social traits of swinging are not too different from everyday life. Meeting people, beginning and holding a conversation in a social gathering is akin to any party. Swinging differs where the flirting is accepted as opposed to risqué or frowned upon. The flirting progresses more often than not into sexual contact. Friendships are forged and the suspicion of another’s motives is removed. There is no worry about someone merely being friendly to get closer to another persons partner with a view to have sex with them. That is what swinging is.

In this day and age of more people placing an emphasis on the pursuit of leisure and pleasure after working hard, surely swinging is a natural progression. It is to swingers what a good night out can be to a drinker or a good result can be to a sportsman. That pursuit of a feeling of euphoria and an environment of utopia is their goal and in these times should we not be adopting a live and let live attitude to all and trying to understand that even if swinging isn’t for us personally, it is what some people want. I don’t like rugby and can give many reasons why but I wouldn’t want to see it banned.

Yet another great post. I´ll readily admit to having suspicions about the sexual integrity of some people I´ve encountered who would consider themselves swingers.

However, what this post has made me start to see is that it´s probably less about them and more about my orientation towards them; this leads me to think about self respect and that knowledge that I, alone, am responsible for my own self esteem and need to find a way to live to the standards which are right for me (this bit is the easiest part!) without assuming them for anyone else - in other words avoiding being judgemental. While this seems terribly obvious when written in black and white I think it´s something that drifts quite easily and it´s a good thing to be reminded of it from time to time for a bit of a review.

I´m off to scour Amazon for some of Maslow´s work. Sounds like my kind of reading and I´d be glad of any further input about him!

Blimey!

Right......would only add to Don's post the element of patriarchal vs matriarchal society; coupled with our lovely medieval christian Arthurian legends of romance. In a matriarchal society no-one could care less who the father of a child is, therefore sex assumes much less significance. In our society, and indeed in many others, it matters because of inheritance etc. In fact, come to think of it, perhaps the recent decades in the west have actually paved the way for swinging by allowing women to be separately taxed and leave their property freely....

Ty for the kind comments re lingerie, but believe me, it simply doesn't work! Am happy clothed or nekkid, but stockings and sussies just were not made for these legs!!!

Re the cheating bit, have a look back at Dusky's thread and see my comments there. As you'll see, I'll have to beg to differ. In my view, if someone is in a relationship where they are going to have extra-marital relationships without the knowledge of a partner, there will be a large and varied number of reasons, and quite frankly it's probably better that they do so with someone like us, who is not going to encroach on their everyday life.....look fwd to the responses on THAT one!

What intrigues me greatly is whether this thread has answered the original question??? Do you now feel that the invitation you received was 'strokes for folks', or do you still feel that it was inappropriate?

x

And.....ooooo...I love rugby...all those gorgeous legs and arses getting all muddy...and in rugby league the lovely short shorts......pphhwoooaarrr!!!! Pmsl!!!! Hehee

x

Its a game for fat kids that aren't blessed with ball control, skill, grace and vision.......football is the beautiful game.
Rugby was invented at Rugby Public School when a rotund lad who was shite at football picked it up and ran off with it. But the first ever rugby tackle was made on him by a footballer.
Its a wee bit too "close proximity with another guy" for me
Got a feeling this thread is gonna go ballistic now and all the chubby blokes are gonna want to grapple me to the floor

Very good question!

It´s clear from this series of posts that the ´strokes for folks´argument holds some water so I´d have to say that I´ve moved on that somewhat.

I still can´t quite get past the fact that I´d, presumably, be turned away at the door as a woman dressed in ´standard´ clothing, for want of a better expression, but not as a man. However, it´s clear that one would know this in advance so the choice issue comes into play.

However, I think my biggest bugbear was the knee-jerk reaction I got when I questioned in by enquiring what might be behind this policy. Having tossed it into conversation over dinner with other swinger friends, most were surprised, having never heard of a division in dress code like this in swinger circles and tended to surmise that the over-defensive reaction suggested less than ethical motives.

For myself, I tend to think it´s likely to be lack of thought in general, rather than anything particularly underhand.

I have resolved to continue to raise discussion on these matters since this series of posts has been so useful in providing genuine ´food for thought´(apologies for the cliché).

Thats good to hear. Keep on throwing the topics in. Everyone should take a leaf out of your book Haven and when faced with a situation that seems slightly cloudier than the first impression it should be floated amongst others to get as many opinions as possible.
The eclectic mix of people in the world of swinging offers a unique opportunity to hear opinions from outside our usual social network. Everyone's train of thought is different due to how our own personalities have formed throughout our lives and there are some avenues that for one reason or another we just wouldn't go down.
Quite often there are no rights or wrongs, just different angles.
For me personally this is one of the most enjoyable threads on the hub as it's made me question my own perspectives and to a certain degree it's enlightened me. In some ways it's reassured me that others think along the same lines and in others it's given me the opportunity to look inside the minds of other people who normally I would never get the chance to converse with.
It's been civilised, intelligent and fuckin' enjoyable!!

Hear! Hear! (Sorry, that´s a bit clost to the rugby bridage´s jargon, isn´t it?)

I´m off rugby today, too. Nothing to do with the fact that France have just hammered my homeland, Bonnie Scotland, at the not-so-beautiful game -honest! Still, us Scots are used to defeat, given our footballing history!

I´m also looking forward to more posts on emotive subjects, etc. I´d also appreciate some advice on what, specifically, would be recommended reading as regards Maslow´s work?

Hear! Hear! (Sorry, rugby brigade jargon, isn´t it?!)

I´m off rugby today, too. Nothing to do with the fact that France have just hammered my homeland, Bonnie Scotland, at the beautiful game. Can´t say we make up for it with our track-record in football, either!

I´m also looking forward to more posts on emotive topics; Could I also repeat my request for some advice rearding what, specifically, to read as regards the work of Abraham Maslow?

In 1943 Abraham Maslow wrote a paper called “A Theory of Human Motivation” which contained a psychological theory called ‘The Hierarchy of Needs’. He stated that as humans meet basic needs, they seek to satisfy successively higher needs that occupy a set hierarchy.

The needs are formed in a pyramid with four groups of deficit needs forming the base and one group of being needs forming the pinnacle. The deficit need groups are Physiological (oxygen, water an food. They also include the need to maintain a pH balance and temperature. Also, there’s the needs to be active, to rest, to sleep, to get rid of wastes, to avoid pain, and to have sex.), Safety and Security (shelter, safe circumstances, stability, protection, a need for structure, for order and some limits.), Love and Belonging (friends, a lover, children, affectionate relationships in general, even a sense of community) and finally Esteem – lower and higher (The lower is the need for the respect of others, status, recognition, attention, reputation, appreciation, dignity, even dominance. The higher involves the need for self-respect, confidence, competence, achievement, independence, and freedom). These needs provide a homeostasis, a sort of balance and an inherent psychological thermostat. Often when one layer is destroyed we regress to the lower level to rebalance. When work causes problems we seek attention and family etc. If one of these building blocks is neglected in formative years we can develop a fixation on it and in extreme cases can never realise the next level or attach less importance or need to the attain next level.
The Being needs are self-actualisation. To be all you can be and only when the deficit needs are taken care of can one focus on these needs. Maslow suggested that only 2% of the world’s population are at this level.

This theory has its detractors who claim that less individualistic forms of society than described by Maslow in this theory, might value their social relationships higher than their own physiological needs. It could also be argued that swingers would place sexual fulfillment as opposed to sex for reproduction above certain other needs. Those who support the theory would claim that a disproportionate interest in sexual fulfillment would be classed as paraphilliacs and quote Maslow’s statement "the study of crippled, stunted, immature, and unhealthy specimens can yield only a cripple psychology and a cripple philosophy”. The theory has both proof and disproof but strikes chords in many of us.

Hope this helps. As I come across more I’ll mail you direct with links and book titles.

Many thanks, Donatello. I mentioned this to the other half of Haven last night who tells me that anyone who has studied for an MBA or similar, as he has, is likely to have come across Masolw.

I´m an arty-farty, interested in pholosophy and literature kind of gal and your potted version of Maslow´s theories grabbed me right away. Looks as though it might present useful discussion material for us so I´m off to order the book right now!

Thanks again for taking the trouble.

we dont think this is fair at all, why cant my wife change there(if she wants 2)its not as if we would turn up in jeans and Tshirt.

Re: ALL POSTS REGARDING "Sexist Policies in Swinging Clubs"

Phew, okay, I woke up feeling quite bright and brainy, and now after reading all these posts feel like I never went to school or woke up. Maybe I should just read them again or get my hubby to read them later and explain it all to me? After all, I'm just a woman, or to many on this and other sites "a sex object" to be displayed used and shown at said clubs (joking!).
The first post I found very interesting with a very valid point, thanks for that Haven. In a day and age of supposed "Equality" how does any club get away with stating that requirement? Even if we do have the option of not attending as Donatello says?
We have been to a few "swingers clubs" and have been disgusted with the attitude towards my other half who happens to be disabled. Another "ism"??? He takes it all on the chin but it infuriated me. One club was brand new, yet had NO disabled access or toilet facilities. As I said, another "ism"?? Able bodied (or Non Disabled) people could get to rooms upstairs, he couldn't. Everywhere these days is full of "isms".
Anyway, rant over lol, just wanted to say how much I enjoyed everyone's viewpoints, such a nice change to see people actually holding a friendly and frank discussion with no rudeness or bitchiness.
Thanks for that!!
Play safe, stay safe img src="imagesadultemoticons029.gif"

Sexist Policies in Swinging Clubs

Interesting thread, and very good points made by Haven and Donatello.

Yes, it is your choice on whether or not to attend a dress code (or non dress code) event and we fully agree that a dress code should not discriminate between men and women.

We regularly visit clubs in Holland, Germany, Spain and occasionally in France, and the differences are huge.
Most of the places we visit in Holland and Germany have a dress code, usually sexy lingerie for women and slip or boxers for the men.
In Spain it is the complete opposite with very few clubs having any kind of dress code. While some of the couples make an effort many more don't, and we regularly see people having sex in the playrooms making no more effort than dropping the knickers and zip.
Sandra loves to dress up (or down) when we go clubbing and I think it's only fair that I should do the same, and we much prefer venues where there is a dress code.

Meandhimandyou makes a fair point about disabled access but it has to be remembered that swinger clubs in the UK work (at best) in a grey area of the law and disabled access would be very low on their list of priorities.
I have to say that things are not much different here in Spain. We were at a club a couple of weeks ago and there was a wheelchair bound lady there. The access into the main club and bar area was a couple of steps up from street level, once inside all the couples only playrooms and all but one of the mixed ones were either up or down steep flights of stairs. I would add that with some help she got downstairs and had some fun though.