Home > Forums > Chill-Out Zone (General Chat)

PM's

Get full access to all site features Register Now!

Hi all,

Ok im going to seem a bit dim now but i have to ask....what are PM's? i geuss its a private message? but how does it work? and why do they seem to upset some people? ie... dont pm without asking first

Cheers,
boobyman2

Re: PM's

That old chestnut.....the PM!
The PM is Tony Blair. A PM is a Private Message as you rightly suspected.
It is polite to ask to PM someone first because in the chatroom, if you PM univited the PM window opens without warning the recipient. If they are like me and not a proficient typist they will be looking at the keys and not the screen. this means they can type in a long text destined for main chat only to find it has gone into a PM box they didnt know was there.
if they were typing a whisper or typing into an invited PM a text of a personal nature and send it to the univited PM box you can begin to understand how frustrating this gets.
Imagine a single female who enters the chatroom on a busy session with around 120 people in chat. a large section will be males and quite a few will PM uninvited. The female then cant even get into chat to say hi without closing numerous PM boxes first.
they have the option of turning off private messaging but they have to actually get into chat first to do this.
True, some people do go slightly (cough) overboard in their displeasure at receiving am uninvited PM but once they have told the whole room what an arse the person who PM'ed is.....you're going to be as popular as a turd in a jacuzzi and your chances of meeting are diminishing rapidly.
hope this helps in some way. simple answer is dont do it.img src="imagesadultemoticons004.gif"

hi Donatello,

thanks for your reply gald to clear that upimg src="imagesadultemoticons001.gif"

Hi Donatello + Mr Booby,

How nice of you to clear that up for us!

As a new-ish member, I've been in the chat a few times but have just been absolutely inundated with PMs. So many that I can't keep up with them all (not that I'm big headed - I think people just think female - yessss!!).

Now I know I can switch them off - hurrah!

midori
xxx

No probs midori66
always a pleasure, never a choreimg src="imagesadultemoticons004.gif"